Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Colours of Agritourism in Umbria

Vineyards, olive groves and 'turned earth' surround the Villa Chiara in Torgiano in the Umbrian countryside where we are staying for two weeks. We are located about 12 kilometres either way from the regional centre and university town of Perugia, and the hill town of St Francis of Assisi. 
We witnessed the first pickings today




It's still a little early in the season to pick the olives




I intend to keep very busy finding landscapes of 'turned earth'. This is the view looking out from one of the terraces at Villa Chiara




The pool at Villa Chiara - September makes it a little chilly for swimming except in the heat of the midday sun




The farmer across the way doesn't mind that we pick tomatoes from his trellis
A




And I'm waiting to make a Waldorf Salad with the apples in our orchard.



The town of Torgiano seems to have some stately residences and it also has celebrated museums for wine and olive oil.
Torgiano - old and older




The hill town of Assisi is fifteen minutes away and the home of St Francis and Saint Clare. Our visit with our 'unchurched' friends makes me wish I had the 'Brother Sun and Sister Moon' DVD to better tell the story.
Edmundo and I attended Mass at the Basilica. Friends Victor (of Jewish ancestry), and Patrick (who is Buddhist in belief) came too and enjoyed the devotion and the music




Michael, Pat, Jim and Victor "show us the way to go home" after dinner and copious carafes local wine in Assisi




These days, I'm not happy if I haven't photographed a bees or a bug.
Out for an early morning walk with Edmundo one morning, a  lady up the road saw me spending time over her fence, and came out to see what I was up to. She was thrilled at knowing I was from Australia and offered me seeds for her favourite vine.




Just home from dinner, I catch the others coming in.
Old friends, including Eddy, Jim and Edmundo from the 25 years I worked with Amex - all of us now enjoying retirement

1 comment:

  1. Great composition of the basilica. The framing and texture of the flower and the bee is very original. The downward-facing group shot is cool too.

    ReplyDelete