Saturday, August 28, 2010

"Take me to the Hilton"

Phew! Dubrovnik is hot. It teems with so many tourists. It's like a Disneyland.


My room in the little 3-Star Hotel Stari-grad within the walls of the old city is quaint but I didn't feel that way last night lugging a 26kg suitcase up four flights of steps to my room. Not only for my knees, but I was tired after a 21-hour, door to door marathon on three flights from Beijing to Dubrovnik. And, after all that, I didn't get to fly on the new Lufthansa A380. It now starts only next week. 
Only seagulls for company, on the roof of the hotel sipping my orange juice at breakfast


All is forgiven now, however . . .





lazing over breakfast up on the roof with my own personal view of the tiled roofs and walls of this old city . . .


taking the shade of the less crowded side alleyways at lunchtime loving the smells of the fish grilling, pizza cooking, onions frying . . . .

wandering through the markets tempted by the tables of plump grapes, rosy-cheeked apricots, striped purple figs, and flowers from the back garden.
Morning markets in Dubrovnik


1 comment: